Saturday, September 5, 2009

When God Says No

I've been reading "Grace for the Moment" by Max Lucado. I was looking ahead, looking at some of the titles and this one caught my eye. It is from November 22nd.

When God Says No
"Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."
-John 6:35

"There are times when the on e thing you want is the one thing you never get. . . .
You pray and wait.
No answer.
You pray and wait.
May I ask a very important question? What if God says no?
What if the request is delayed or even denied? When God says no to you, how will you respond? If God says, "I've given you my grace, and that is enough," will you be content?
Content. That's the word. A state of heart in which you would be at peace if God gave you nothing more than he already has."

I had gone to school for court reporting starting in January 2006. It was something I enjoyed very much, it was the highlight of living in Fresno for me, I loved my classes and my teachers. Then the Lord brought me back to Hume. I was not happy about this, I admit it, but every time I tried to do something else, the Lord told me "No." I had to change my attitude toward God and my circumstances. Finally I found a contentment I had not felt up here before.

For the past couple of years I have tried, and failed, to go back to school. Every time I take steps toward that goal, the Lord, once again, says "No." I will admit that I have been quite unhappy about this answer, for I love to study and learn. Then I read this message from "Grace for the Moment" and it made me think. I cannot expect God to do as I wish, that is limiting God. I cannot say no to what He has, even if He can say no to me. I know that whatever I may have planned for myself, God's plan is greater. All I have to do is be patient and listen to Him, let Him guide me.

Just a thought.

No comments: