Sunday, August 9, 2009

Verses

The past couple of weeks have been a stretch for me. I won't go into detail, but I will say God has been really stretching me. I was thinking about all of this today when I remembered something. Every time I enter a period like this in my life there are certain Bible verses that seem to pop up, but one in particular.

I remember a couple of years ago when I was living in Fresno, a stretching time as well. Tragedy struck a family I was very close to, whom I consider my family. I remember receiving the phone call about it and I remember the emotions I felt, sadness, anger, bitterness, depression. My mom was visiting at the time and had brought the little Bible study booklet she was going through. That day's topic was very much relevant to the situation at hand, and the Bible verse was the one that had popped up during other crises before. It was this:

Habakkuk 3:17-19
Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls-
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will Joy in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength;
He will make my feet like deer's feet,
And He will make me walk on my high hills.

Through a conversation I was having with a friend just a couple of days ago I was reminded of this verse, it is my life verse and yet I have not given it much thought over the past couple of weeks. Also, our conversation made me remember a couple of others that have been helpful.

Jeremiah 33:3
"Call to Me and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things which you do not know."

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

It has been a very trying and stretching couple of weeks, but a great growing period. I am very grateful for these times, even if not at the time, because they really do make me stop and reevaluate what I am doing and show me what to do to become closer to God.

1 comment:

npetrikov said...

You're a generation ahead of me in wisdom. Lucky you.